Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Advent Hymns of Waiting (Week 2)

Advent 2: O Holy Night


So, I am late with my post for this second week of Advent. Even still, here are my thoughts...

My pick for this week’s Advent hymn is one with which I have long held a love-hate relationship. I love the lyrics, but the message of this song can easily be overshadowed by a poorly matched messenger. This week’s song, O Holy Night should come with a warning label. One that says something akin to… 


WARNING: All amateur vocalists with big dreams and no solid awareness of their actual vocal chops should keep their distance. This song is not to be trifled with.  Don’t mess with it. Do not greet this Christmas standby with so-so vocal talent. Average church choirs should shelve this piece. Congregations? Just no. And soloists? If you aren’t Carrie Underwood, Josh Groban, or Idina freakin’ Menzel - Just. Back. Away. Before anyone gets hurt.


O Holy Night is a favorite Advent hymn of waiting for me, but only under the best conditions. The powerful lyrics be hijacked by a poor performance. So, with fear and trepidation, I name this beloved Christmas hymn as a favorite. (But everybody needs to behave themselves and possess a heavy dose of reality, otherwise O Holy Night becomes a Christmas menace before you can ever “fall on your knees” to beg for mercy.)

That said…the words of this song embody the spirit of Advent waiting and the hope of a new day dawning. This song partners peace and longing in melodic tandem, and invites the hearer to yearn for something more while simultaneously celebrating the arrival of something great.

O Holy Night

O Holy Night!
The stars are brightly shining
It is the night of the dear Savior's birth!
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till he appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary soul rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!

Fall on your knees
Oh hear the angel voices
Oh night divine
Oh night when Christ was born
Oh night divine
Oh night divine

Truly He taught us to love one another
His law is love and His gospel is peace
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother
And in His name all oppression shall cease
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name


My favorite line is found in verse 1: “Till he appeared and the soul felt it’s worth.” I love the idea that we recognize our true worth when God shows up. 

I grew up in a conservative, evangelical tradition that reduced my humanity to the sum of my failures. Flesh and bone was seen as a depraved limitation, almost as if it was a curse to be in the body on this earth. As a result, I saw myself as wrecked, broken, flawed. None of which empowers me to embrace a healthy and accurate sense of self-worth. 

Somewhere along the way, I defined my humanness by my failures alone. Yet there was a God who took on that same flesh and joined us here. I was left to ponder how my humanness could be such a curse if God not only created it (and called it good), but also wrapped God’s self in it and showed up in Bethlehem.

O Holy Night helps settle that conundrum for me. When Jesus appears on the scene, and God moves into the neighborhood, I see me for who I am - priceless, worthwhile, messy, and beautiful. God shows up in flesh and bone and I know my humanness is infinitely valuable. He appeared and I felt my worth. 

Advent waiting reminds me of the ongoing struggle to embrace every bit of my humanity because being human is good.

Of course, verse 2 affirms the value of humanity as well. It is a reminder that Jesus modeled the ways the Kingdom (love, equality, justice). The line of the mid-crescendo of verse 2 (“all oppression shall cease”) assures us that what Jesus modeled is indeed the path toward peace. 

God doesn’t intend to strong-arm the Kingdom into existence. Jesus proves that when he comes in the fragile form of an infant to poor parents in a region of the world suffering under the cruel reign of the Romans. God’s kingdom is realized one act of love at a time. God’s kingdom comes when we help set people free from the chains that would otherwise keep us bound. God’s kingdom comes when everyone is valued and loved. Period.

Advent waiting reminds me of the ongoing struggle to embrace every bit of humanity in others because being human is good.

We help establish God’s kingdom when we embrace our humanity, and affirm the humanity in others. That’s what Jesus did. He took on flesh to affirm our humanity and worth.  



Jesus came to save us from the lies that would say we are never enough. He came to save us from the fruitless pursuit of temporary riches. He came to save us from all that would keep us from realizing the potential that is possible because of our humanness. He came to remind us that all power is fleeting, except God’s. 

And Jesus showed us that this salvation is achieved not by military might or governmental strength, but by another way. It’s an upside down way that chooses love and peace, even when it means a manger…or a cross.


May you embrace the inherent value of your humanness this Advent, for when we do a little bit of heaven comes to earth. 


O Holy Night by Josh Groban...a completely acceptable rendition of this hymn that leaves me still loving this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment