Saturday, December 17, 2011

What I Really Want to Give For Christmas...

They want...
barbies and matchbox cars.  disney princesses and animal figurines.


I write down those wishes with paper and pencil.




I want...
to give them those things (because there is nothing like giving your child a gift.)
Yet there is something else I long to give my children. 
Presents that are expensive but don't cost money.  
Gifts purchased in the currency of time and sweat; sacrifice and tears and prayer.


I write down these wishes with my heart.


These are the gifts I would give to my children...


love...a Godly example...forgiveness...hope...
laughter...time...strong family ties...love of scripture...
hope...being heard...color-blindness...curiosity...
knowledge...wisdom...security...peace...
patience (with self & others)...diligence...hope...
kindness...self-sacrifice...faith...honesty...
generosity...hope...creativity...
Love (1 John 4:16)


No 40 square feet rolls of wrapping paper are required for these gifts.  Instead, these gifts are wrapped in day-to-day routines, in the mundane and surprising, in the messy, beautiful living of life together.


May I not waste one beautiful gift-filled moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment