Saturday, December 3, 2011

Lessons from Advent

I'm feeling it.
The pressure.  The hurry.  The frenzied pace.


For a while I lived believing I was captive to this season's cadence.  I've learned otherwise.  Yet I feel I must relearn this lesson every year.
The lesson that Advent is about slowing.  All the rest of creation slows naturally as trees become bare, animals hibernate and the ground covers in white.  Why does my slowing come hard?


The lesson that Advent is about generosity of spirit.  I can give inordinate amount of gifts but still be stingy and selfish.  Why does my spirit want to hoard?
The lesson that Advent is about embracing mystery.  The enigma of angel-songs to shepherds and star-led wisemen become common place and predictable.  Why does my heart resist the unknown?


The lesson that Advent is a discipline. My feelings will not always correlate with the slowing, the generosity, the mystery of this season. But if I am to breathe in and breathe out the distinct scent of grace, peace, and love then this discipline of Advent requires me to alter my rhythm and engage every sense.


I feel it.
The pressure.  The hurry.  The frenzied pace.


Yet I choose to practice the slowing, the generosity, the mystery...because Love has come and I don't want to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment