Friday, February 14, 2014

Garden

Linking up with Five Minute Friday...

-----------------------------------------------------------

GO




Black.
That's the color I associate with my posable digit.
So when my husband declared his desire to have a garden 
I was well, nervous.
"I kill things, " I thought.
"I have no idea what I'm doing, " I thought.
And he looked into my eyes and simply said, "We'll learn."


Like it's no big deal.
To learn to garden 
and grow things
and water things
and harvest things.

We'll learn!?!

And that's what we did.
Small step by small step, 
we figured out the best way 
to pick a spot of yard, 
to get good dirt, 
to prepare the soil, 
to plot the garden, 
to sow the seeds, 
to weed and water and wait, 
and to bring our children along for the journey.





And then the day to reap; 
to pass the joy on as our six-year-old
plucks the pole bean from the plant, 


and I sautee it in the skillet,
and we sit at our table and eat
something we grew.


And I am in awe
that life won out, 
that growth actually happened.


1 comment:

  1. You garden looks amazing! It looks like you certainly learned a lot. :) I am also a recovering black-thumb-gardener, and can't wait for all this snow to melt so I can start growing things again!

    ReplyDelete