Saturday, February 22, 2014

Forced Sabbath (waxed slightly poetic)


“In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, 
but you would have none of it." - Isaiah 30:15



Life gets loud.
And fast.
And impossible.

Life whirls me round
as if it's taken some dare 
to outdo itself.

Life becomes a never-ending carousel.
Spinning round and round.
And round and round.
Nauseating.

The view doesn't change.
Not really.
People come and go.
Pass by or hang around.
Take a few pictures as memento.
And they are off again.
But I am still whirring.
Trying to find center.
Trying to focus.
Trying hard to hold the vomit down.

Sometimes it feels that life just needs to stop.
Stop the world. 
I want to get off this ride that seems to resound cruel.
No matter what I've tried to do to honor weekly Sabbath,
or daily quiet;
Sometimes I am just turned round and round
til I am run into the ground.

Anger flows from stress mounted high.
Pain bleeds from my eyes as tears.
And the only thing left to do is nothing.
I am strong-armed by life into simple rest
because

can't
do 
anything
else.

Sometimes the end of my rope
is the very lifeline I've needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment