Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Face in the Sunlight - Part 2


Wake up. 
Put your face in the sunlight. 
God’s bright glory has risen for you.
The whole earth is wrapped in darkness, 
all people sunk in deep darkness,
But God rises on you, His sunrise glory breaks over you. 

- Isaiah 60:1b-2 (The Message)



Neither light from the bright orb of gases, 
nor the dark which is caused by the earth's rotation. 
Not of literal light and dark do I speak.

For cloudy days cross the skies and the planets keep revolving, but my heart? My heart has a choice.

Epiphany light is the light of the soul.
The light able to shine though the world is still dark with violence, hate, apathy, oppression.

So when I read Eugene Petersen's rendering of Isaiah 60:1b...
"Put your face in the sunlight"
I am shocked from complacency once more.
The reminder of choice.
Epiphany light shines out or is snuffed out each day because I have a say.

This day...this moment...a choice.
The fact is that Light has come. (John 3:19)
This Light is risen upon us, upon all men, upon me. 
(Isaiah 60:1 and John 1:9)
This Light has been misunderstood by the very darkness He came to dispel. (John 1:5)

But this day...this moment...I have a choice.
I can choose to put my face in the sunlight.
I can choose to embrace Light.
I can choose to celebrate Epiphany.
I can choose to live and breathe and have my being in the light of the Son.

Christmas ushers in the Light and calls us to be Epiphany people. People who put their faces in the sunlight, exposed and vulnerable and seen. People, who by that very courageous act, have begun to dispel darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment