Sunday, June 9, 2013

His and Her Vows


Last week, Paul and I celebrated 15 years of marriage.

While away on retreat we renewed our commitment to one another. 




And Paul gave me a new diamond ring to replace my original engagement ring and wedding band which were stolen last fall.






Below are our vows to one another...


Her Vows:


Fifteen years ago, we stood in Park Place Church of God to make a promise to one another. 
We were young and thin. 
We loved each other and we were happy. 
We were idealistic and looking for our first ministry position. 
We had no idea where God would lead us but we were confident He would. 


Today, we share both similarities & differences with that young couple. 
We are not as young or as thin. 
We still love each other and are happy - 
a different kind of happy cemented with time and commitment.
We are still in our first ministry position but idealism can sometimes compete with skepticism for prominence in our heart.
We don't always know where God will lead, but we are still confident He will.

Life changes and yet life remains the same.

And here we are 15 years later in a different space of grace, 
but in the presence of the same Abba.
And I place my hand in yours still 
and say there is no one with whom I'd rather make this life journey.
You are the one who knows me best and loves me most (anyway).
You are the one in my life who best exemplifies Christ in flesh and bone. God incarnate.

Paul, there is no one I'd rather pour my love into or onto.
So, for our today and all our tomorrows - 
I entrust them to Him who knit our hearts together in the first place 
and declare again my promise to:
honor and respect you - at all times
be faithful to you - with all of me
cheer you on - in all things
love you - always
choose you - forever.

I love you.



His Vows:

I love you. I adore you. I cherish you.

You are creative, fun, thoughtful, and beautiful.
You are a terrific mother, my best friend, and the perfect partner for me.

With God's help, I vow:
to be faithful to you
to love you
to honor you
to protect you
to defend you
to be a man of my word
to lead you
to be your biggest fan
to pray for you
to pray with you
to keep Christ at the center of my life and our marriage.

Today and every day for the rest of my life, I choose you.
I desire you to be my partner, my best friend, and my beloved.

I love you, Niki.

------------------------------------------

We are

Blessed. Kept. Loved.
Grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment