Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Endurance

Don't be fooled by what I am about to say.
My actions may sound impressive, but they're not.
It's just evidence of a sweet friend 
willing to slow way down 
and keep me accountable.
(Well, it might be semi-impressive that I'm getting up before 6 am;
..or, if you know me... a lot impressive.)

Anyway,
this morning, during our run, 
my friend was telling me about
this approach to cycle training.


Represented by a triangle,
this method assigns each point of the the triangle 
one of these three components:
endurance, strength and speed.

basictriangle

That got me thinking.
I mentioned to my friend
if I had to choose one at which to excel, 
I would choose endurance.
(Side note: I love that it's at the top of the triangle.)

While it would be nice to be fast
and great to be strong, 
do either matter much if I lack endurance?

Endurance says, 
I will keep going
I won't quit
I refuse to give up
I will finish.

Endurance shouts durability 
when circumstances might otherwise crush.

Endurance waves the banner of perseverance
when other voices say stop.

Endurance digs in its heels
when winds of struggle might uproot.

Endurance outfits itself in persistence
when it's easier to throw off responsibility.

Endurance clings to tenacity
when commitment threatens to fade. 

Endurance is about focus and never losing it.
Jesus had it.
And so did Paul.
I want it.

To be tenacious.
Resolute.
Unyielding.
Relentless.
Sure enough to cling
and keep going.
Having the end always in sight
though it's still over the horizon.

To endure in order to find that which endures.



I press on toward the goal to win the prize 
for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14




No comments:

Post a Comment