Thursday, May 9, 2013

When I Need Answers


I have a lot of questions.
And what I want are answers.

Lately, the One who knows me best and loves me most 
has something to say to me about my quest for solutions.


I found it (again) the other afternoon during prayer...

From Philippians 4:6-7 (NLT)
Don’t worry about anything; 
instead, pray about everything. 
Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
Then you will experience God’s peace, 
which exceeds anything we can understand. 
His peace will guard your hearts and minds 
as you live in Christ Jesus.

When I am wanting (or feel I need) specific answers, 
asking for anything else seems inefficient.
When specific direction is what I need, 
all my focus is on that one task of discovery.

And yet, I know there's is more at play 
than the mere uncovering of divine directives.
And what I hear - not audibly but clearly - is this...
when I seek only God, I will find answers;
when I seek only answers, I may find neither God nor the answers.

These verses in Philippians bring me back to the central theme of the gospel...relationship. 
I know this. I preach this. I teach this. 
But I do not live it as I should.

To seek God's face before His hand.
To give God praise before asking for His help.
To be still before acting.

Yet, I forget.
Yet, I am lured away.
Yet, I take up the burden of self-reliance.
Yet, I forge ahead in my own understanding.

But this act of seeking Him before all else...
it's the greatest act of trust I can offer.

This act of relinquishing questions in deference to the answer-giver...
it's one of my most difficult sacrifices of worship.

Yet, it is the surest bet.
Yet, it is the greatest of joys.
Yet, it is the most certain of results.
Yet, it is the most complete of satisfactions.


To know Him who knows me best.
To make His heart my soul's desire.
To have spent my day pursuing the costliest of treasures.
To have His promised peace as guardian of my mind and heart.

And at the end of this day,
what I really want is to know Jesus more.

I love this song
It helps me remember where my time is best spent... 
especially on days when questions leave my head reeling.

May we dare to be people who chase hard 
after the One who knows all things 
and longs to work all things for our good. 
Now to Him - who was, and who is, and who is to come - 
all glory and honor and praise. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment